Confessions will be heard one-half hour before every Mass during Lent 2022!
How to Make a Good Confession
1. Examination of Conscience
Use the 10 Commandments as your guide for Examination of Conscience:
- I am the Lord your God: you shall not have strange Gods before me.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
- Remember to keep holy the Lord’s day.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- You shall not kill.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against you neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.
- You shall not covet your neighbor’s goods.
2. After Examination of Conscience, go in to see the priest, either face to face or behind the screen, and proceed as follows:
“Bless me Father for I have sinned. This is my 1st Confession (or my last Confession was……). These are my sins.”
3. Proceed to tell the priest the sins you are sorry for and would like Jesus to forgive.
4. The priest will give you spiritual advice and penance which may be a prayer (such as a Hail Mary or Our Father) or possibly something to do.
5. The priest will ask you to pray the Act of Contrition aloud at this time.
Act of Contrition
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you.
I detest all my sins because of your just punishment, but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all-good and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin.
6. The priest will give you absolution and God’s blessing.
For even more information about Lent 2022 at St. Mary’s, please see the following link:
The above is an edited and expanded version of copy found in the bulletin of March 6, 2022.